Healing - Including a student-penned report on a radical
new undergraduate medical special study module, a BMJ editorial and
original research on the consultation.
Acrobat Reader is downloadable free from www.adobe.com.
are thoroughly checked for viruses before being placed on
- Human Healing and Creative Encounter - Some comments and references on Human Healing.
Notes and References from David Reilly's teaching on this subject. Updated November 2006. (745kb).
- Creative Consulting - The series published in the Student BMJ.
These articles explore some aspects of become more effective in your
encounters and give some background information and theory, including some aspects of mind-body medicine.
- Creative consulting: You can make a difference. (306kb).
- Creative consulting: Why aim for it? (528kb).
- Creative consulting: How to make the room disappear. (770kb).
- Creative consulting: Germinating recovery. What is a healing response? (517kb).
- Creative consulting: What modifies a healing response? (773kb).
- Creative consulting: More about placebos? (996kb).
- Creative consulting: Psychoneuroimmunology, the mindbody (827kb).
- Holism in primary care: The views of Scotland's general practitioners .
Primary Health Care Research and Development 2005; 6: 320-328. (95kb).
- BMJ Editorial Enhancing Human Healing.
Calls for a direct study of human healing responses and sketches a few landmarks of that territory. BMJ article. (144kb).
- The 5th Wave - a Discussion on the Future of Health.
Key elements of this Scottish Council Foundation and HNS Scotland publication were based on ideas developed in David Reilly's work. See
how the one to one encounter sits in the big picture of the next wave of public health. View article.
- New Models of Healing. Reilly, D.
PostScript Issue 28 July 2005 pages 1 and 4. A brief comment on the emergence of Integrated and Integrative care. (396kb).
- Falling through the holes in
wholism. Reilly, D.
contribution to debate sparked by excellent article: Bass C,
May S. ABC of psychological medicine: Chronic multiple functional
somatic symptoms, BMJ 2002; 325:
Part in The Fragmented Art of Human Healing. Reilly
College Of Psychiatrists Spirituality & Psychiatry
Special Interest Group. Newsletter No. 9, August 2002 p4-8.
Fascinating articles in general. (23k).
- HUMAN HEALING: Perspectives,
Alternatives and Controversies.
Pilot of a Special Study
Module for 3rd year undergraduate medical students at Glasgow
- Consultations at GHH.
A pilot qualitive study and commentary
on some therpeutic consultations, from Zelda diBlasi and Jos Kliejnen.
- Enablement - a preliminary report.
From the project lead by Stewart
Mercer with David Reilly and contributions from Graham Watt -
evaluation of the quality of consultations and what determines
it using a mixture of quantitative and qualitative methods.
- Empathy is important for enablement.
Mercer, S. W, Watt, G. C M, Reilly,
D. BMJ 2001; 322:865 First report from a pilot study of outpatients
attending the Glasgow Homoeopathic Hospital. Using Howie's Patient
Enablement Scale demonstrated significant positive impact in
sample of 200 consultations before any medicines had been used.
There was no instance of enablement in the absence of empathy.
The full in-house report with qualitative research available
in the article above this one. BMJ
- The importance of empathy in
the enablement of patients attending the Glasgow Homoeopathic
Mercer SW, Reilly D, Watt GC. Br
J Gen Pract 2002 Nov;52(484):901-5. View
- Length of consultations. Time
and stress are limiting holistic care in Scotland.
Mercer SW, Hasegawa H, Reilly
D, Bikker AP.BMJ 2002 Nov 23;325(7374). From a major survey
views on the state of the art of holism. BMJ
- A Review of the Evidence, Details of Training Courses,
Clinical Outcome Studies and GHHOS outcome scale.
- The Foundations of Homoeopathy.
Glasgow and Distant Learning Courses.
Information On A Professional Postgraduate Introductory Course
Open To All Statutory Registered Health Care Professionals. Includes
- The Clinical Results of Homoeopathic
Prescribing in Primary Care.
Results in over 1600 cases. Includes
proforma for the GHHOS - Glasgow Homoeopathic Hospital Outcome
- The Evidence for Homoeopathy
A discussion of the evidence profile
for Homoeopathy. Including comments on the August 05 Lancet controversy. Updated September 2006 .
- Comments prompted by the Lewith
et al BMJ 2002 trial:
- When is useful improvement
a waste of time? Double positive paradox of negative trials.
BMJ 2002;325:41. In
'negative' RCTs did both groups work, or neither? BMJ
- A pilot design of diluted
power. It might prove effectiveness, but it does not disprove
Reilly D. BMJ 2 March 2002
Responses for Lewith el at 324 (7336). A pilot design of
It might prove effectiveness, but it does not disprove efficacy.
2 March 2002. BMJ
Care Models - Results of the ‘Glasgow Model’ at Glasgow
- A Review of Inpatient Care Integrating
Complementary and Orthodox Medicine at Glasgow Homoeopathic Hospital.
Suggests the cycles of distress and cost can often be usefully
broken with a multidisciplinary holistic approach. Temporarily unavailable. File being updated July 2004.
Academic Departments and its Activities
- A Draft Report on the Development
and Academic Activities at Glasgow Homoeopathic Hospital.
Recent achievements and future plans,
plus a listing of some recent publications